Finding the perfect gift can be tough, but it’s a bit easier when you know what your loved one is passionate about. For the photographer or photography enthusiast in your life, gifts related to their passion are always welcome.
We have some fun gift ideas to help you find the perfect gift, no matter the occasion.
Gear & Accessories
One thing you should know about photographers is that they always need new gear. But photography gear is expensive, so giving equipment, gear, or gift cards is always a great idea. Find out what your photographer is need of or is lusting over, or take a peek at some of our ideas:
Does your favorite shutterbug need a new tripod, bag, or strap? If so, you can’t go wrong with these.
We love the Think Tank Photo Respective 7 messenger bag. It is versatile and functional, making it a go-to bag for photographers of all sorts.
Our top pick for a tripod is this Vanguard Alta Pro, a sturdy, flexible, and lightweight tripod beloved by pros. It can be out of budget for some, so if you’re looking for something a bit less expensive, check out our guide to the best tripods here.
Straps are a pretty personal choice, but the two-way wearable options of the Miggo Carrying Strap, as well as its durability and style, makes it a perfect gift for nearly every shutterbug.
Giving the gift of a new lens is an amazing way to show your photographer how much you care. Lenses can be spendy, but there are other affordable options. Brands like Sigma and Tamron offer great quality at a lower price, and are available for different brands like Nikon and Canon.
If your loved one is a new photographer or hasn’t had the money to buy good editing software, the gift of the latest version of Photoshop would be a welcome one.
Just for Fun
In addition to gear, there are plenty of fun, affordable, and foto-friendly gifts out there. Here are a few ideas we scrounged up.
Books can make great gifts for photographers. Whether it’s a book to help them improve their skills or inspire them to shoot, a coffee table book full of gorgeous shots, or a collection from their favorite photographer, there are a ton of different options.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Humans of New York by Brandon Stanton: HONY has become a sensation across social media, both for Stanton’s empathetic approach to capturing the human spirit, and for his fantastic eye for composition. This lovely coffee table book highlights some of his most interesting subjects and offers an interesting coffee table piece plus photography inspiration for portraits.
- Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson: One of the best-known reference books in the world of photography, Peterson’s approach to teaching exposure is useful for both beginners and more advanced photographers who want a refresher or a chance to elevate their skills.
- 400 Photographs by Ansel Adams: Perfect for landscape photographers or history junkies, Adams’ collection includes his most famous works, and it covers a span of 50 years. In addition to the pictures, there are short essays and bits of biographical information.
- Astrophotography by Thierry Legault: For anyone getting started with or hoping to get into astrophotography, this is a great book with plenty of useful information and inspiration. Legault’s approach is based on science and technology, but his language is accessible.
Jewelry & Accessories
There are some fun necklaces, earrings, handbags, and more out there. If you have a loved one who is into photography and is super fashionable, considering picking up a cute accessory for them.
- A sterling silver camera charm necklace is a cute, understated gift
- Consider a camera print infinity scarf for whimsical style
- This little film camera print wristlet is a fun alternative to a purse
There are so many fun, funny, and cute t-shirts for photographers. These can make a fun, affordable gift for the photographer in your life.
However, you might also consider function for your loved one instead. Maybe they need nicer clothes for shooting weddings. Or, if they like to photograph landscapes, a nice sweatshirt or utility jacket with lots of pockets can be perfect for the conditions (and for holding lens caps and whatnot).
For photographers who go on many adventures, an action camera is a super fun gift. Sure, they’ve got their DSLR, but why not give them something that they can use, hands-free, and which will record the process of getting to their adventures.
The GoPro HERO 6 Black is our top pick for an action camera.
Coffee mugs are another fun, affordable gift option with endless choices. Here are a few ideas for regular mugs and travel mugs
For some photographers, getting a monthly dose of inspiration is a great way to stay inspired and continually work on their skills. Photography magazine subscriptions make excellent gifts, and there are numerous titles so you can find the best fit.
We don’t know of one photographer who wouldn’t love to have a drone. Fortunately, there are drones available at nearly every price point, so you can absolutely find a great drone within your budget.
And finally, for a silly gift, check out this camera toilet paper roll and toilet paper.